Recently, we talked about the damaging effect the clutter in our mind can have on all areas of our life.
Mind clutter – all the self-limiting thoughts and unsupportive beliefs – causes all the other types of clutter in our life. If we let our mind go out of control.
An unsupervised mind gets easily cluttered.
Left on its own, the lack of direction and guidance causes our mind to come up with automatic and often unconscious thoughts that don’t serve us.
These are just a few examples of typical home-clutter related thoughts:
- This is too hard to do.
- I am not good at this, have never been good at it.
- I have tried so many times to do this, it never worked.
- I don’t know what to do, I don’t know where to start.
- This is a mess!
- It’s not my fault, my family is so chaotic.
- There is no time to do the work.
- I’d need a magic pill to solve this – and there is none.
- You may want to add your home-clutter related thoughts?
This type of thinking has serious consequences.
It creates feelings like overwhelm, confusion, stress, frustration, disappointment, apathy, shame, hopelessness, powerlessness, etc.
Sounds familiar? What do you feel when you have clutter thoughts?
It’s no wonder that feeling these or similar emotions keeps us from taking the required actions:
- We procrastinate and postpone,
- we avoid planning and doing what needs to be done,
- we start some activities but give up as soon as the first obstacle shows up,
- we don’t ask for help,
- we hide the clutter and pretend that all is good,
- we distract ourselves with the help of Netflix and social media,
- we try to escape our uncomfortable feelings with the help of ‘over’-activities (over-eating, over-drinking, over-working, over-etc.).
- What are your actions or inactions when you don’t feel like doing it?
The circle closes with a definitely unwanted result – we remain stuck in a cluttered and uncomfortable life that we don’t want, full of stuff that we don’t like or use, and that doesn’t serve us.
How can we start to declutter and organise our mind and our life successfully?