How to feel better, on purpose, here and now
Our brain’s main job is to keep us safe and alive.
That’s why our mind thinks it’s very important that we focus our attention and our thinking all the time on problems and obstacles, difficulties and risks, and potential danger.
But we don’t have to let our mind run on default. We can deliberately decide what type of thoughts we want to be thinking – which means we can also intentionally direct our feelings.
So if we are in ‘a bad mood’ and we want to change that, we can always go and look at the thoughts that are creating our mood and change them.
Changing our thoughts, however, is not always easy and it can take some time and energy.
But there are short cuts that can help us feel better faster. The application of ‘the 3 Gs’ is one of them. (Source: April Price)
The 3 Gs – Your immediate mood booster
This little self-coaching tool is easy to apply and you can use it anytime, anywhere to make you feel better almost immediately.
It causes your mind to refocus its attention on the positive – on what’s working, on the abundance of your life, and on what you want to create.
This is how it works:
Whenever you feel like your mood needs a boost, you ask yourself
- G 1 – What’s good in my life today/just now?
- G 2 – What am I particularly grateful for today/just now?
- G 3 – What goal will make me feel excited today/just now?
I use the 3 Gs technique regularly in the early morning.
On many days, I don’t feel very energised and powerful when I wake up. Often, I feel weak and miserable – even if there is no obvious reason.
My strategy now is to give myself a few minutes to create a mood shift before I get out of the bed. I give my mind an early morning job to do. I ask it to focus its attention and to find answers to the question ‘What are my 3 Gs today?’
Today, for example, my mind and I came up with these answers:
- G 1 – It’s Good that the client meeting in the afternoon has been cancelled – I can use the time to call my sister and share the latest news.
- G 2 – I am Grateful that the arrival of our new puppy has now be confirmed for next Monday.
- G 3 – This is the most exciting Goal on my to-do list today: Ordering toys online for the puppy.
Give it a try.
Take the idea of the 3 Gs along through your day, and then, when the need for a mood booster comes up, you asks your mind to find and focus on 3 attractive Gs.