Do you truly appreciate what you have in your life?
Daily practicing our appreciation of the good things in our life helps us strengthen our positive-feeling ‘muscle’. It makes us feel better. And stronger.
The purpose of the ‘Treasure Chest’ exercise is to come up with positive thoughts about the things we value and appreciate in our life, all the stuff we are grateful for and happy about.
These thoughts in turn will help us fill up our personal ‘treasure chest’ of positive and powerful feelings.
All the appreciation, gratefulness, happiness and contentedness that we add to our ‘treasure chest’ does not only make us feel good in that moment, it will also keep our heart warm during cloudy or stormy periods that might come up in the future.
How do you fill up your personal treasure chest?
Invest 10 minutes each day and write down what comes up to your mind when you ask yourself questions like these:
- What am I grateful for today?
- What am I happy about just now?
- What are the people in my life that are particularly valuable to me?
- What are the things in my life (personal belongings, money, space, time, etc) that I really appreciate?
- What have I done/am I doing that I am really proud of?
The nice thing about this treasure chest is that it’s not heavy and it can’t be stolen. We can carry it around with us all day, we can open it any time, and we can share it with others if we want to.